Tool Tip Crash

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Tool Tip Crash

Postby PJs Ronin » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:21 pm

I've noticed that the tooltip that appears when you hover over a player's stat line can bounce around. There seems to be about 0.2 second delay between positioning the mouse and the tooltip displaying, but if you mouse to a stat for less time than this, then quickly move the mouse elsewhere the tooltip appears in the new location. See image.
Screenshot-1.png
(654.5 KiB) Downloaded 1617 times

This happened to me a couple of times yesterday when the tooltip appeared on the wrong table as I drove my mouse from table to table... disconcerting to say the least. However, there is a more serious consequence.

I was playing an SnG and a cash game at the same time and as I drove the mouse from the cash table to the tourney table (via some non-table space) the tool tip (for a cash player) appeared on the tourney table just as the tourney table closed. The tool tip was left 'hanging'. I couldn't close the tool tip, I couldn't create another tool tip and HUD stats on the cash table stopped updating.

I started to think about an orderly shutdown so I clicked "stop getting hands" but it had no effect. There was no display of hands being updated and PT4 was struggling to work. CPU was maxing out. Eventually I had to kill PT4 via task manager. I didn't have logging enabled at the time :(

I'd recommend that the tool tip be anchored to the stat, or line of stats, rather than following the mouse.

(logging on perm now)
PJs Ronin
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Re: Tool Tip Crash

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:15 am

I suspect that this is normal Windows tooltip behaviour - I'm sure the development team haven't written tooltips from scratch, they will be using the built-in tooltips, so I doubt that there is anything they can do about where tooltips appear. If things freeze up that is a different issue, which may or may not be related to that hanging tooltip (that is more likely to be a symptom than a cause), so if you see it again please do let us have your logs.
FWIW I believe the plan is to make the tooltip activation time configurable, which should mean that you can find a setting which works for you regardless of computer speed. (On a slow computer there could be some delay between PT4 telling Windows to display the tooltip and it actually being displayed, and if you move the mouse during that time it will affect where the tooltip is shown.)
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tool Tip Crash

Postby PJs Ronin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:25 am

To illustrate a point. The only thing I have running is PT4... and a spurious tooltip. These things are popping up all over the place. The tooltip can only be closed with a Task Manager kill.
Screenshot.png
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 1596 times

... and if you think my girl is happy with a tooltip on her nose, you are sooo wrong!

Edit: Ticket #115935 raised with logs attached.
PJs Ronin
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Re: Tool Tip Crash

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks.
..and I hope the vet is gentle removing that from her nose! :)
WhiteRider
Moderator
 
Posts: 54025
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: UK

Re: Tool Tip Crash

Postby PJs Ronin » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:25 am

As an update, I'm getting a couple of PT4 crashes every day because of these hanging tooltips. I hope the developers get back soon.
PJs Ronin
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Re: Tool Tip Crash

Postby tarix » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:19 am

We've been back for about two weeks now and there have been several internal releases in that time. Once we are able to address a few larger issues and ensure that the build is stable we will have another beta release.
tarix
Developer
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Re: Tool Tip Crash

Postby PJs Ronin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Any chance a release for this is getting close? I'm averaging around 8-12 crashes a day because of orphaned tooltips.
PJs Ronin
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Re: Tool Tip Crash

Postby kraada » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

I don't have an exact date yet but I'll see what I can find out for you.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY


Return to PokerTracker 4

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests