Page 1 of 1

Postgres Version

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:02 pm
by TravisTOJ
Hi team,

Is there an advantage to upgrading my PostgreSQL db from 9.3.17 to <whatever latest is that pt4 works with>? I am on PT4 version 4.18.1

I would love some more speed for queries, not sure if it makes any difference, looking for opinions.

It's generally working fine even if not very performant.

Thanks in advance,
Trav

Re: Postgres Version

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:35 pm
by Flag_Hippo
PokerTracker v4.18 added official support for PostgreSQL 16 which provides database performance improvements and the version of PostgreSQL you are currently using reached its end of life in 2018 so I would expect a performance improvement however that's not something I can really quantify for you. We have a guide for upgrading here:

https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4 ... postgresql

You don't have to upgrade although another option would be to install PostgreSQL v16 alongside the existing v9.3 install so you can compare/test PostgreSQL v16 while still having access to your PostgreSQL v9.3 data.

Re: Postgres Version

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:46 pm
by TravisTOJ
Sounds great thanks Hippo!

I will updgrade after backup, as per the manual/help files.

My PT4 seems to freeze when I click the backup button (from both locations it is available), this is before I even get to click (or see) checkboxes/options.

Is this normal (16GB db), should I just try a manual pg_dump?

Thanks in advance

nothing looking too bad: 2024/06/28 01:30:08.920 [00000]: [- Main -][WindowDialog] Opening Dialog: Database Management [WindowDialog::wdDatabaseMgmt] (0014F060)
2024/06/28 01:30:08.937 [00017]: [00015078][PostgresConnection] Connecting to database postgres
2024/06/28 01:30:08.981 [00044]: [00015078][PostgresConnection] [04B2F2E0] Successfully connected to: postgres [0AFFB860] (PostgreSQL version 90317, size: 6298 kB)
2024/06/28 01:30:09.035 [00054]: [00015078][PostgresConnection] [04B2F2E0] Disconnecting from database: postgres
2024/06/28 01:30:09.037 [00002]: [00015078][ptDatabasePopulator] Thread: End
2024/06/28 01:31:59.751 [99999]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] Connecting to database postgres
2024/06/28 01:31:59.801 [00051]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] [0014C070] Successfully connected to: postgres [0AFFBC50] (PostgreSQL version 90317, size: 6298 kB)
2024/06/28 01:31:59.802 [00000]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] [0014C070] Disconnecting from database: postgres
2024/06/28 01:31:59.827 [00025]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] Connecting to database postgres
2024/06/28 01:31:59.877 [00051]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] [0014C900] Successfully connected to: postgres [0AFFA0C0] (PostgreSQL version 90317, size: 6298 kB)
2024/06/28 01:31:59.929 [00051]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] [0014C900] Disconnecting from database: postgres
2024/06/28 01:31:59.929 [00001]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] Connecting to database postgres
2024/06/28 01:31:59.973 [00043]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] [0014C900] Successfully connected to: postgres [0AFFA0C0] (PostgreSQL version 90317, size: 6298 kB)
2024/06/28 01:32:00.025 [00052]: [- Main -][PostgresConnection] [0014C900] Disconnecting from database: postgres

Re: Postgres Version

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:16 pm
by TravisTOJ
left it overnight, and the dialog to backup popped up

Re: Postgres Version

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:55 am
by TravisTOJ
Wow...so much better now. Range visualizer goes from hours to seconds. Thanks!

Re: Postgres Version

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:33 am
by Flag_Hippo
OK great. With the backup issue and long load times you mention that sounds like there was also an issue with the previous PostgreSQL install and/or database which was resolved by upgrading.