Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Forum for users that want to write their own custom queries against the PT database either via the Structured Query Language (SQL) or using the PT3 custom stats/reports interface.

Moderator: Moderators

Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby Gatech » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:10 pm

I am comfortable working with database SQL and I have written a lot of custom stored procedures in the Poker Tracker database to pull known hand ranges of my opponents. I have been careful not to do anything that would prevent future upgrades to Poker Tracker and I store all my results into the player notes column for now. This allows me to hover over the "Notes" icon in the HUD to see the known hand ranges of my opponents by position (Blinds, EP, MP, LP). Although this solution is better than nothing, I want to do a lot more (e.g. known ranges by different filters like M, limped, 3-bet, etc.).

I could easily continue to write SQL to filter the data as I want it and keep storing the information in the player notes, but as I add more and more rows to the player notes, it becomes time consuming to scroll through the player notes to find the information I need (e.g. known hands when an opponent pushes in EP with an M between 5 and 10). The number of rows in a player's notes file would grow exponentially.

My question: Is there a mechanism in the Poker Tracker HUD to access information stored in a custom table? I'd like to be able to click on a popup that returns data from a custom table using a Poker Tracker stat like M to filter the results. Put another way, I'd love to be able to create a HUD to access a custom table value, not a PT stat.

Thanks!
Gatech
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby kraada » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I don't believe this is currently possible at this point in time, I'm afraid.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby Gatech » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:28 pm

I figured, but thought I would ask. I also realize that I am asking for functionality that PT was not intended to provide. Thanks for responding.

However, as the PT team is looking for ways to improve the product in the future, a mechanism like this may be the "catch all" solution for many of the advanced user requests throughout the Poker Tracker community. Of course support and performance impacts would be the challenge.
Gatech
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 12:47 pm

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby kraada » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:23 pm

I agree that for certain power users it would be a very nice feature to add, but I think at the moment we are probably best served by adding other powerful features that all of our users will have access to. That said, I'll still put it on one of my wishlists.
kraada
Moderator
 
Posts: 54430
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:32 am
Location: NY

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby pasita » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Gatech wrote:I am comfortable working with database SQL and I have written a lot of custom stored procedures in the Poker Tracker database to pull known hand ranges of my opponents. I have been careful not to do anything that would prevent future upgrades to Poker Tracker and I store all my results into the player notes column for now. This allows me to hover over the "Notes" icon in the HUD to see the known hand ranges of my opponents by position (Blinds, EP, MP, LP).


Any pointers for how to do this, i.e. get some data from the database and get it stored to player notes?
pasita
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby gkeuler » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:41 pm

pasita wrote:
Gatech wrote:I am comfortable working with database SQL and I have written a lot of custom stored procedures in the Poker Tracker database to pull known hand ranges of my opponents. I have been careful not to do anything that would prevent future upgrades to Poker Tracker and I store all my results into the player notes column for now. This allows me to hover over the "Notes" icon in the HUD to see the known hand ranges of my opponents by position (Blinds, EP, MP, LP).


Any pointers for how to do this, i.e. get some data from the database and get it stored to player notes?


Theoretically there is a way to do this, however its conceptually pretty complicated and requires a decent knowledge of sql

also it requires several workarounds and basically using things in methods they weren't intended.

edit-
also, your not storing anything as an actual player note perse
gkeuler
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:17 am

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby pasita » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:50 pm

If anyone can tell me "Here's the tool, here's an example query which you put ->here", I'd like to give it a look. I worked with SQL a bit for a while... but that was two decades ago exactly, so I'm feeling a bit rusty :?

As long as the performance bug with made hands makes direct HUD stats use impractical, this might be the way to get some use of the data.
pasita
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby gkeuler » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Thinking about it now If you just want to import player notes, that may be possible perhaps....

https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=30969&p=151210#p151210

lkastel wrote:Suppose I decide that none of my stats and reports will ever need to access the numerical size of the raises which players were facing on the river. I then write a stored procedure to populate the field tourney_holdem_player_detail.amt_r_raise facing (or any other non-key non-index field) with my own data, and then use it in my column expressions based on the new meaning.

Is there reason to expect bad things to happen if I do this?


kraada's response seems to imply that a custom written stored procedure could do it, dont know how exactly that applies to notes considering they are all keyed and such
gkeuler
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:17 am

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby pasita » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:01 pm

I mean stuff like counting the times each player raised river with high card and storing that in their notes, with a declarative string (i.e. "Bluffraised river:" ). So pretty much what was described in the OP, just different stats.
So I guess I'm looking for info on how to implement a "stored procedure" if I interpreted the OP and your link correctly.
pasita
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Accessing Data in a Custom Table - Known Hands

Postby Gatech » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:07 am

Well, I have been PM'd quite a bit here asking for help with the SQL. I do not mind sharing the code, but don't want to get into a support role. Also, I wrote the code without the plan of having to support it, so it is not commented in depth.

Also, this is the Poker Tracker forum, not the Postgress SQL support forum. It is possible to do what everyone is asking, but the best place to post questions about using PGAdmin and other SQL tools is in another forum.
Gatech
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 12:47 pm


Return to Custom Stats, Reports, and SQL [Read Only]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests